Sunday, February 8, 2009

An Unfinished Poem..

One of my earlier poems. I wrote this one during the Gulf War (yes, it's that old). I never did complete it. Maybe I will some day..

I saw a little girl in tattered clothes, all of nine years,
Her pretty eyes betrayed her pain, her fears.
Big city lights around her but she’s an unknown face by the roadside,
Never had a father, hardly knew her mother – In whom to confide?
A hungry stomach doesn’t feed itself, so she has to beg,
All of nine years and her life on its last leg.

Then came the boy from Baghdad,
Almost a man, a childhood he never had.
He once was happy, had limbs, siblings, a family
But soon came strange men from strange lands, dropped bombs in glee.
Someone else’s war but he paid the price,
And the sun set on him, never to
rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment